> Country Family Robinson: Garden Updates!!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Garden Updates!!


Well, what can I say...we have been pretty blessed this year with the garden. We just did our 3rd pick of Green Beans - and god somewhere around 33 gallons of un-snapped beans between everyone. We got beans coming from all sides. Never have we had such a harvest....and they are still blooming. I am running out of jars at this point. We usually can the pints, cause that is all Tim and I need, but we canned some quarts too for company, reunions, etc. However, I am now out of pint jars - mom is out too, and we are going to be canning the rest in quarts unless I can find a place to sell them off. I am very thankful for the amount that has came from the garden...and especially thankful for my mom and Grandma Brown - who have been doing all the canning. Per Grandma B - I am not allowed to do any of the canning as my lids will not seal (wives tale). However, when she was pregnant - none of hers sealed. Better be safe not sorry. Give Grandma something to do during the day, and my mom takes over if there is any left. Mom mainly does the picking, and all 3 of us snap. I can pretty much only snap and clean - that's it.



A few days back, we had a good rain (which we needed) however, the wind blew so hard that it knocked my corn to the ground. I only had about 15-20 stalks still standing. I was crushed (no pun intended) cause one of my fav foods is Sweetcorn on the Cob - I can just eat that as a meal by itself. It looked like someone drove their car over my corn - laying pretty much flat. Well, I prayed - and the sun came out. Most of th stalks are back upright- there is a section in the middle that is still laying down a bit, but it looks like the ears are filling out, so I am starting to feel good about it. We will see how they look in a few weeks when they are ready. I can't wait!!



Well, it is close to bed time, and I am pooped. I will post another blog tomorrow - my MIL brought us the gifts she has been saving for us - congrats on the baby gifts - so I had a big SQUEEFUL Mommy Moment! Can't wait to share pictures about it.

G'night

♥ J & Lil Bean ♥

1 comments:

Lillian Robinson said...

Can't wait to see what Pam gave you! How exciting to get baby stuff!

Still waiting to find out about the test...